Sunday, August 25, 2024

Singleness of Heart

NOTE: This is a Bible Study I wrote for our Single’s Group. 


I have been praying for and hoping for a Single’s group for a while, not because I am looking for a relationship but because I am looking for “relationship.” Something we don’t consider often enough as we walk through this life seemingly alone is how much Jesus wants relationship with us. The whole Word of God, every line, is a continuing love story between the Lord and His creation.


John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.


He longs for relationship for us. Surrounded by a spouse, children and all the trapping that come with married life and responsibility you have less time for introspection or to feel sorry for yourself. But when you sit alone at night with nothing but time and space it becomes easy to work yourself into situations and relationships that are not healthy and that lead you away from your purpose during these  days of singleness. 


And you seek to fix your own so called problem. 


One of my favorite section of verses is found in Jeremiah 29:11-14 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.


Listen to the same verses from the Message:


11: I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.

“When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I'll listen.

“When you come looking for me, you'll find me.

I'll make sure you won't be disappointed." God's Decree. "I'll turn things around for you. I'll bring you back from all the countries into which I drove you" - God's Decree - "bring you home to the place from which I sent you off into exile. You can count on it.


God’s Promise’s are “yea and amen.” If people have disappointed you, He won’t disappoint.  


Ephesians 3:20 AMP Dream big, and don’t be afraid to ask God for what seems impossible. People may let us down, but He will not fail us. He never disappoints when we ask in line with His Word


This is a wonderful opportunity for each of us. An opportunity to come together and do something for the kingdom. We have the message and we have the means to reach people that others cannot reach. But we have to have focus. 


That is what being “Single Minded” is all about.


Acts 2:42-47 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles. And all that believed were together, and had all things common; And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need. And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.


There are four key points in verse 42 that will sustain us during this season. 

  1. Continuing steadfastly in the Apostles doctrine
  2. Forming bonds of Apostolic friendship (fellowship)
  3. Eating together (breaking bread)
  4. And praying together


  1. We need to hold onto this message and not allow the temptations found in loneliness to sidetrack us. “Sin will take you farther than you ever planned to go.” The devil won’t ride up in a jalopy with rotten teeth and stinky clothes. It’s called temptation for a reason. The only way to make it is to resist it.


Don’t go out seeking relationships with the opposite sex in the world. You won’t win them, the world will win you. Hold onto the Word. Resist the devil and he will flee. Use the Word to fight temptation as Jesus did.

2.  Make an effort to be involved. We have a varied group here. Every person here has their own story and their own value. Young and old. Single, divorced, widowed. Being together will help us grow and will help us overcome. 


3. All of our major events surround food. There is an easiness when we break bread together and just be ourselves in a safe place where we are truly loved! This is a time to build godly relationships and glean from other’s experiences. It’s a time to build bonds and share struggles. 

4. And lastly, we need to pray together. To bear one another’s burdens. To pray for covering and protection and strength during this season of our lives. To pray for growth. To pray for evangelism. 


And as we continue to meet and enjoy each other we will realize our hearts are bound by this incredible faith and have become one beating heart of brotherhood and sisterhood in this time when we may long for a relationship, we will have found purpose through relationship with the true Love of our lives.




No comments: