Friday, January 16, 2009

Love Notes

Yesterday I met with a Physician in his office. I have known him for quite some time and was discussing a contract with him.

He was very busy, as you can well imagine. He had come out of patient room with his laptop and told me to follow him as he hurried ahead to his office.

I sat across from him and he spoke to me while typing in notes on his last patient.

He apologized because his desk was a mess stating, "I just haven't had time to tidy it up."

He then proceeded to straighten it up while I reassured him that I understood.

It was then that I saw it, while looking at this man's desk.

Written in his bold hand across the top of his desktop calendar were the words "I love *my wife*."

Although the rest of his desk was covered in clutter, this little note was entirely visible, as if he left it open for his view.

I was moved almost to tears.

During his running from room to room, as he cared for those that had put their trust in him, there written in plain view was a declaration of love for the woman he had married all those years ago.

This little love note was private, personal, yet so visible to me, as if he wrote it as a reminder "this is why I'm here, this is why I work so hard. It is this love that drives me."

What I loved the most about it was it was probably written while he was in the midst of doing something else, perhaps on the phone, yet it was his love he was thinking of, his love that was drawing him.

And she probably has no idea that little declaration of devotion even exists.

Yet it does.

Isaiah 49:16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.

Brother Martyn Ballestero preached a message one time "He's In My heart, I'm In His Hands" using this verse as an illustration. That message came back to me sitting across from this man. Obviously he is loved by his wife with a great love to inspire this devotion from him.

What an image that carried me through the rest of the day. I could imagine my God with MY name in His hands, looking at it and thinking "I love her."

Verse 15 says: "Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee."

He is saying as He looks upon my name, "This is why I did it, this is the reason for it all."

I can hear Him as I stumble through my busy day, as I face disappointments and as I face sorrows, during my triumphs and my times of great joy, I can hear Him in a soft sweet voice, "I remember you, for your name is ever before Me, written in a love note here on the palms of My hands."

No comments: