Sunday, January 31, 2010

Surviving Till Happily Ever After

I am not sure if I mentioned that my parents recently celebrated their 5oth wedding anniversary or not.

In these modern times, that is no small feat!

I want to share with you some things that I have learned from them over the years.

The first and foremost thing is that "Marriage is not perfect."

I have seen my parents survive some extreme ups and downs over the years. And, there were times when I know they felt like throwing in the towel and saying "enough is enough." But, they didn't.

"Family needs to be FIRST after God in your home."

If you reach a point where something else becomes more important than those that you share each day with then you are in for some major problems! You have to remember at all times that each decision you make not only effects you, it effects your family too.

"If Mom and Dad don't have a relationship then the whole family suffers."

You have to take time out for each other, make it a priority! Talk to one another, have a date night, and support each other!

"Make memories!"

Have little adventures and share simple times TOGETHER! Know one another!

"For Better or Worse is easier said than done."

I would be remiss not to say that there have been times in my own marriage where I have wanted to run away from home. Marriage is hard work. And I know that there are problems and situations that cannot be overcome especially in these complicated times we live in. But if the end comes then I want it to be said that "I" did all I knew to do!

We recently snuck away for a weekend together. We went to Plains, GA and stayed at the Plains Historic Inn! It is one of my most favorite places.

While we were there we went to hear Former President Carter teach Sunday School and had our picture taken with Mr. and Mrs. Carter after service. One of the things that has stuck with me was the fact that during our INSTRUCTION period before he arrived we were told that they stood together, holding hands and we were NOT to try to separate them!

That is the MAIN key to making it right there! Don't let anything separate you! Stick together!!

When my father was so very sick recently and we were called in thinking it was the end my father said of our family "We've got to stick together."

I have seen some difficult times in my parents marriage, some difficult times in my own, and I am quite sure I will see more. But, if we can just stick together, hold on to each other, maybe we will survive to our 50th anniversary.

Maybe we can live happily EVEN after!!

No comments: