Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Your Choice

Several years ago I was in a situation where someone I was very close to was constantly miserable.
And in response to that, anytime I was around that person, guess what?

I was miserable, too.

I hate miserable!!

Finally, in a fit of desperation, I confronted the person...

"If this is the way you want to live YOUR life, then, OK. It's your choice. But as for me, I choose Happiness."

Everyday, in every moment, our lives become the products of our choices, good or bad.

For instance...this extra fluffy state I am currently in is a product of my choice to over indulge in yummy stuff.

And because of that choice I could be facing poor health down the line, which could, in turn, affect the lives of those around me...

My children have grown up with some circumstances to overcome, one of those being a father who, for many years, did not attend church.

This has made for some interesting and often frustrating times around the homestead. And, sometimes I become flooded with bad attitudes and nasty spirits.

One of the things I have drilled into the heads of my children is that Happiness is a CHOICE!

Sure, we have had some rough times, we have had some times when I honestly didn't know how He was even going to fix things.

I remember one day in particular. My husband and I had a very unpleasant discussion about my decision to live for the Lord.

I dressed for work the next morning feeling sad and dejected, but hopeful all the same.

I told the Lord what was on my heart and I asked Him "Please, Jesus, put Your arms around me today. I need a hug from my Father!"

I was caring for a little old lady that was suffering from dementia. She was an "overflow" patient on the OB floor where I worked. She was confused most of the time, often mistaking me for someone else.

In her younger days she had been a Holiness Preacher. I spent much time with her because of her situation.

That morning in particular I was bustling around the room. She had been especially out of it, hardly making any sense at all. I was straightening her covers after turning her in the bed when she suddenly took my hand in a very strong grasp.

She looked at me through clear blue eyes and said, "You are on the Highway of Holiness. Don't let anyone or anything take you off of your path."

And then she was gone again, but I was found. My face lit with the joy of knowing He knows my name.

I have chosen my path, and although not always easy, I have also chosen to serve Him with Joy, to have thanksgiving in my heart. I have chosen to be happy, even in the turmoil, even when I can't seem to see tomorrow.

I choose Him, and with a super sized version of joy and happiness!

John 16:33 "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

So, you see, I have every reason to smile!!

Thank You for Your continued love and the favor You have placed on my life. Once again, You are better to me than I could ever deserve. How could I not live a life full of joy, when I live my life full of You?

No comments: