Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Needful Thing

Luke 10:38-42 tells of two very different sisters, Martha and Mary.

"Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her."

Man, I can relate to Martha right now.

I have, over the years, always considered myself to be a worshiper. Recently I seemed to come awake in myself and realized that life has encumbered my worship.

I can remember many times in prayer, staying at His feet, letting my tears flow, and just loosing myself to my worship of Him.

But it seems my life has picked up pace, and I find my prayer time relegated to slots, and my mind racing as I try to get everything done in my busy life.

I don't know when Mary departed and Martha took over, but I miss the Mary in me.

Oh, I am sure no one else has ever been in this place. I know everyone else is perfectly able to juggle their homes, their jobs, their children, their church activities and even ward off world hunger and help devise plans to fix the floundering economy, and STILL bask at His feet!

Yea, I know I am the only one who feels overwhelmed and under prayed at this time in my life.

So, since it is just ME with this problem, I plan to attack it head on.

It is important to live in a clean environment and to take care of those I love. It is important that I am involved at church and that I give my all at work also.

There is certainly a place for Martha in my life. But I have let things trouble me and worry me that have NO place in my life. And it is time that I got back to what is the needful thing for me to make it.

HIM.

I am taking back my prayer time without the time limits. I am letting go of the things that have shortened my study time.

My love for Him has not lessened. My need for Him has not decreased. But somewhere down the freeway of my life I have taken an exit that has left me frustrated and discouraged with my never-ending obligations.

And I have lost sight of the way that once gave me my peace, my comfort, my strength. I know I cannot survive with constraints on my time with Him. So, I will subdue my Martha, and draw on the Mary side of me once again.

For it is in His Presence where my troubles vanish, where my heart is mended. In the Presence of the King.

No comments: