Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I Have A Friend

"Oh Lord You know, I have NO friend like You."

I have been blessed throughout the years to have many good friends, friends that I could call on, no matter what, and know they would come through for me.

I received a phone call from my sister the other morning. It was so nice to talk to her. We have always been especially close, well, since we grew up to become women. Talking with her, always makes me smile, and even though so many miles separate us in the physical, you can't separate heart.

I have learned many things in the years since I left the nest and soared out on my own. Some lessons were sweet, some bitter.

I sat after prayer last night still feeling the sweetness of the presence of the Lord and suddenly He started to talk to me. It was like meeting a Friend over a cup of coffee and reminiscing about our past together.

Again and again He brought to my mind the times He has given me promises. And again and again He brought to my mind how He fulfilled every one.

We sang an awesome song Sunday called "I Have A Friend" and that song began to play in my heart.

I know there are people who call me "friend" and I know, without a doubt, that at some point I have let them down. I am positive I have not been as supportive, as thoughtful, as caring, as concerned, as in touch as I should be.

And as life has evolved and helped me become the woman I am today, I have found that I don't like to share some things with others, no matter how much I value their friendship. There are some things that are just better off not said.

But, see, I have this Friend that sticks closer that a brother (no matter how close I feel to mine). I have this Friend that I can turn to with every problem, with every situation. It is Him that I long to run to in times of trouble, and it is Him I want to rejoice to in times of joy.

I left my church family last night after a wonderful time of fellowship and headed to the store alone. And it struck me that I was alone. After years of noise and laughter it was just me and my thoughts. So naturally they shifted to my Friend.

Joshua 1:5 I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

Isaiah 45:2-3 I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron; and I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou may know that I, the Lord, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel.

He knows who I am, and He has given me promise after promise to remind me of who He is to me. He knows me by my name, and I know Him by His.

He is Jesus, the love of my life.

Lord, I long for You today. I long for Your fellowship, just to be close to You. I don't know what I face in the days to come, but You know. And I am placing it all in Your hands. Thank You for the comfort, the shelter, thank You for the laughter and peace. Thank You for knowing me, and loving me in spite of myself. I love You, my sweet, sweet friend.


No comments: