Monday, July 6, 2009

The Illusion Of Peace

When I was a teenager my best friend was a girl named Sherry. I know, you're are thinking, "How confusing is that?" but we managed quite well.

Sherry and I were polar opposites in every way, but we had (and still have) a great love for one another. Sherry was always outgoing and out spoken. I loved spending time at her house with her boisterous family. They were so loving and so much fun. They always called me "Sheri-Sheri" and that has stuck through all these years.

During our Freshman year, Sherry was given the superlative of "Loudest Mouth" while I received the votes for "Quietest Girl." I guess that says it all.

Sherry did not take any gruff off of anybody. I cannot tell you the times that I stood behind her while she was pounding someone in the face saying quietly, "Now, Sherry this is not solving anything. And you are just going to get into trouble. Please, don't fight."

We laugh about it now, but she did not think it was funny at the time. Although she never got angry with me she told me I used to drive her crazy, her little voice of reason running behind her.

She has always been that way, never afraid to run head first into a situation and confront whatever and whoever the problem is.

Me, not so much.

(unless it involves my family, but that's another blog)

Through the years I have allowed many things in the name of peace. Just to "keep the peace" I have sat back on my hands waiting for my problems and circumstances to disappear.

Only there has been no peace.

Isn't that just like the devil?

"Now, Sheri you know you don't want to fight this. Think of all the trouble you are going to cause. Just don't fight this."

So, I haven't.

And by doing that I have spent year after year living on the edge, afraid to make a sound, afraid to take a stand.

But, it occurred to me recently that all I have done in the name of peace has been wasted because there has been no peace.

And if there is no peace through my peace-keeping tactics then I'm changing my course.

I'm putting up my dukes, and I am going to fight.

I am going to fight the devil who would like to see me bound by this illusion of peace.

I am going to stand up to situations that I have tried in the past to just smooth over to avoid any conflict.

There is a new voice ringing in my ears, infusing me with the strength I need.

"In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me." (Psalm 56:11)

Now, before you think otherwise, NO, I am not going to be running around willie nillie punching people in the faces, and YES, I still think Sherry should have done less pounding.

So, what in the world am I talking about??

I am talking about warfare, spiritual warfare. Warfare that has come against my home, my church and my walk with God. I am talking about the things that I have not fought against on my own battlefield, the things that I have not stood up for because I knew that the battle would heat up if I did. And if you have never attempted to live your life for God surrounded by those who are not as sold out as you are this will probably make no sense.

And if you have, then you completely understand. I continue to live it, full force, but I have been living it quietly, and I thought peaceably.

But, I have been wrong. I have not had peace. And if I have no peace by being passive, then I might as well roll up my sleeves and come out fighting. I might as well stand up to the bullies of this world who tell me I am oppressed because they are the ones who have been oppressing me.

I might as well pick up my stones and grab my sling and stand up to the giants of this world instead of crouching behind and rock and pretending they aren't there.

This world will tell you that if you just keep your mouth shut and don't cause any trouble everything will be OK.

But it's not OK. It's time for battle. No longer will I hide in the bunker while the world drops bombs on all that I believe. If I get my eye blacked, then so be it. I will be fighting for everything that I am.

The time has come that we rise up against those that tell us that it is OK for them to talk about us, but not OK for us to say "you got it all wrong, buddy." It's time we stood up in the face of the opposition and said "If it's not in the Bible then it's wrong. Period."

It's time we worried less about offending someone and worried more about them being lost.

And when we do that, when I do that, I can say:

6For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.

7I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

8Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing. (2 Timothy 4:6-8)

No comments: