Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Material Girl....

We are living in a fast paced world....cruising on the information highway. Almost everyone now has access to their family and friends 24/7 via cell phone, Internet, etc.

And yet, with all of these ways to reach out and touch each other we are sadly touching each other less.

I have seen it around me, probably in my own home....well, definitely in my own home....

I have seen the need for more STUFF!!

Now, I like stuff. I enjoy my cell phone, my iPod, my iMac. But, it is just STUFF.

I can continue to build up my own personal arsenal of gadgets and devises and surround myself with every modern convenience. I would never have to see anyone face to face again.

Why, I can even sit right in the comfort of my own home and *attend* church! cough cough

Speaking of which, we had an awesome service last night. Bro. Wood preached to us and I want to be "In Position for the Mission" that is coming for me.

It was during that message that he mentioned Elisha, leaving his STUFF behind so that he could follow Elijah. He not only left it behind, he sacrificed it. And at the time of Elijah's departure to Heaven in the chariot he asked for a double portion of Elijah's spirit...

And he got it.

I tend to believe it was because he sacrificed what he had to serve.

And as I thought about Elisha I remembered the rich young ruler. He asked the Lord "What shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?" (Mark 10:17)

Jesus asked him if he knew the commandments. He responded he had followed them since he was young.

Mark 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsover thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shall have treasure in heave: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
*Note that Jesus saw him there in his sincerity to reach the mark, and He LOVED him, even though He knew he would walk away....WOW....there's a message in there*

This young man had a different reaction that Elisha.

He was grieved because he had many possessions.

I can imagine a young man of our time...

"Sell my STUFF! You have got to be kidding! I NEED this STUFF! I can't live without it!"

Now, I like my STUFF, but I would hope that in that position I would have been an Elisha.

Lord, give ME a double portion of the spirit of my Man of God! Give me his vision for the work waiting to be done. And if he says to me, "you have to lay some things aside," Lord, let me be willing. It's only STUFF, and I would that no material possession would keep me out of Your presence.

No comments: