Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Race Is ON

Such a Hustley Bustley time of year....

Ahhh....the Christmas Season is upon us. A time to share with family and friends.... A time to reflect on the meaning of Christmas and what is important to us... A time to reevaluate our lives and our commitments to our fellow man and to ourselves.

YET...it seems to me as the years have gone by I have less and less time to spend dwelling on WHY we celebrate as I try to keep up with the various celebrations and gift purchasing.

And as usual, I do a poor job of keeping up with the pace....everyone racing around....crowding the stores....I would rather hide out right here in my house and just focus on Him....

But, the real world beckons me again and again.

Several years ago we went to Houston with some very good friends. While we were there we decided to drive those little Indy cars. My husband and my friend were first up....

Off they went, racing to the finish line...it was over in just a minute.

Then it was my turn. I got strapped in and took off...or so I thought.

I thought I was flying...man I had to be breaking the sound barrier....

When I finally landed at the finish line I found my husband and my friend bowed over laughing...

AT ME!!!

Come to find out I was not flying at all. Not by a long shot. I was creeping along "like a grandma."

A few years back I had the opportunity to drive a Nascar. I once again was strapped in and off I went.

It felt like it took FOREVER! I thought, man I am going too never get finished going this slow.

And yet my top clocked speed was 132mph.

I have been running the race of life for almost 43 years. Sometimes it seems like time has just stood still and then I reflect back and realize all the years that have passed, seemingly in the blink of an eye.

Yesterday I was getting married....today I have been married 23 years.

Yesterday I gave birth to my daughter....today she is 22.

Yesterday I had a baby boy...today he is 19.

Yesterday I gave my life to the One who gave His life for me....

Now years have passed and I have not accomplished nearly enough to justify all that I have been given....

I am running a race....I want to finish the course....maybe not the fastest, but I want to finish. I want to reach the end and look back at the miles I've traveled and see lives that I have touched through Him.

I want to hear "Well done" at the finish line....

Whether you are on the right course or not, there is a finish line for this race called Life. During this Christmas season stop long enough to check your course, to look at the compass provided in the Word of God, and to refuel on His preached Word.

And as you are hustling and bustling around remember....the greatest gift of all was given over 2000 years ago.

No comments: