Friday, April 23, 2010

Treasures

I have to admit it...
It's been hard for me to go there
Because you are everywhere
But I did
And you were everywhere
Pictures I had never seen
Receipts with your boldly scrawled name
(I tucked one into my pocket)
The notepads from your desk
And then I ventured into the bedroom
The room I have most avoided
Your cologne on the counter
Next to your shaving cream
And your shoes
Florsheim's, of course
The boots you always wore
Back in the day
There were suits hanging there
So I dug in all the pockets
It became a treasure hunt
Little post-it notes with numbers
Receipts from buying the suits
Folded up paper towels
And then I found the most wonderful secrets
I kept one for myself
And I held it to my face and cried
The thing is
You left all of these things there
Because you were coming back for them
You left them in drawers
On the counter
In pockets
Because you knew they would be there
When you went to look for them
And more than anything
At this moment
I want you to come claim them
But I know that's not God's plan
For either of us
So I claimed a couple of your treasures
Just for me
Maybe you left them there
So I would not forget
Like I ever could
I miss you......

No comments: