Monday, September 24, 2007

ROCK === me === HARD PLACE

I am a Healthcare Professional. I see things from the bedside prospective. I understand the ins and outs, the hows and whys of hospitalization. I can rationalize decisions based on my knowledge and nursing judgment.

But, yesterday, I was a daughter.

I was a daughter who listened to her mother sob and cry because of someone who lacked *bedside manners.* I was a daughter who then had to pick up the pieces of her brokenness.

Nothing I knew helped me.

Nothing except the Word. Nothing except prayer. Nothing except calling on Him.

Have you ever felt like you were *caught between and rock and a hard place?* Yea, me too. Yesterday I felt so firmly wedged between the two that it would have taken a truckload of dynamite to dislodge me.

There are certain people in life that at some point you are forced to place a certain amount of trust in. Physicians fall into this category. But at some point late Saturday evening one of the physicians that has been caring for my mother destroyed the bond of trust by informing my mother that she was going to be alone, legless, with no one to take care of her.

Any rational part of my nursing training dissolved instantly as I listened to her retell his visit.

Of course he was not available to talk with me, but I found someone who would. And talk I did. I explained to her that he was to be notified that she did have family to take care of her even though he told her she would not.

And then I got on the bed with her and held her and prayed with her until peace came to her. And I removed my sleep deprived presence with her promise that she would allow Him to continue to minister to her, and I got into my car and fell to pieces.

How do you comfort someone so distraught? I did the only thing I knew to do. I called on the Comforter. Psalm 91 11-12 says: "For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone."

A man with a stony heart came after my mother's hope.

Verses 15-16 of the same chapter reads: "He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him. With long life will I satisfy him and shew him my salvation."

And where my humanness would have taken control of the situation to a bad end, I am thankful He stepped in and took control of the situation. I'm thankful He did.


No comments: