Saturday, September 27, 2008

An Ounce Of Prevention

As a nurse I deal with the effects of lives lived without concern each day of my life. And with my own extra *fluffy* state, I also live with the knowledge that I need to do a better job taking care of myself.

I sat yesterday outside of a conference where I was representing the company I work for at a vendor booth. I have a harder time with this aspect of my job because I became a nurse to care for people, not to "sell" the fact that I care for people, but I am getting better.

A group of women came in from a smoke break, all of whom were grossly overweight, and they made their way to the table to get a coke and return to the conference. 

I was struck by the whole thing.

Every time I shove an iced honey bun (mmmm) between parted lips I am signing my own death certificate. I honestly do make an effort to eat things that are good for me, but I know I could do much better. 

You see, I have a history to remember.

My father was diagnosed with Diabetes when he was 40 years old. He has high blood pressure, has had 5 bypasses, is on renal dialysis and is a below the knee amputee. 

My mother has an artificial heart valve, has high blood pressure, is borderline diabetic, has lost 1/2 of one foot and all the toes but 2 on the other.

Then there are my grandparents...I'm not even going there....

Seeing those women yesterday, though did more for me than any of the problems of my parents. 

These women were all about 10 years or so older than me, or so they appeared. They were all a great deal heavier than me, and they were all struggling to walk and huffing and puffing to get to the drink table. They came shuffling in through a cloud of smoke, literally. And I am glad that their backs were to me, for I know my face reflected my feelings.

*God, please help me.*

There is a point you reach when you have gone too far for the doctor to fix your misuse of your body. After so many years of abuse, the damage is basically done. You truly reap what you sow in this case.

I have got to do better, for my sake, for my husband's sake, for my children's sakes. 

I can prevent ending up in the same shape, but I have no time to waste.

I know there are many people who balk at holiness. I am faced with them over and over. Sadly, I even see it now among the ranks of Apostolics

I have never seen holiness and separation as a *bad* thing. Holiness is like health food for my soul!

It is that very separateness that serves as our prevention! What safety there is when we separate ourselves. We may never know how many unfortunate situations and outcomes have been avoided simply by obedience.

Just as living life without regard to our health will have an effect, so will living without that protection God has provided.

Sin never visits us without leaving its evidence. 

We can once again reach that place of repentance, but sin may leave marks that cannot be erased. 

Holiness is for the prevention of sin. Repentance is the cure.

But even with the cure scars may remain. 

Thank You for Your Word today. Thank you for instructing us how to prevent our souls from being sullied by the sins of this world. In 2 Corinthians 7:1 told us what we were to do after You received us and made us Your sons and daughters and after You became our God. "...let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the free of God." Thank You for loving me enough to show me how to live. I love You so very much!!

No comments: