Monday, December 8, 2008

Ergonomics Of The Standards Of God

It seems there is a science studying everything. There is probably a science to study the science of science.

Several years ago another science emerged called Ergonomics. If you do not work in the business world you might not be familiar with this particular science. But since I do I have been forced into the acknowledgement of it, if not the actual participation in it.

So, let me expound on it for a brief moment.
Ehem...
Ergonomics is the applied science concerning human characteristics when designing things that people will be using. This is to make sure that the interactions between people and what they are using are safe.

What can happen if Ergonomics are not applied *according to the expert scientists* that have poured their life's work into the study of said science?

Any number of horrific consequences!! Slipped disks, torn ligaments, carpel tunnel syndrome, and the list goes on and on...

I must admit I was having some difficulties at one point when I was spending a good deal of time doing computer entry. I was having the worst pain in my shoulder. I ended up going to the chiropractor. I have never even had my back popped.

My poor son went with me and I looked up into his terrified face after my session was over.

"Mom! I thought he broke your neck!"

One of the first things he made me do was sit down as I normally sit.

So I folded myself into a chair with my leg tucked primly under my bottom.

"AH HA!!!"

It seems when you sit that way it curves your spine...and did you know you are not supposed to sleep on your stomach!?!?!

Well, I reluctantly followed his sage advise, and guess what? My shoulder quit hurting.

I believe God was the original expert on Ergonomics. He developed a standard for us to live by so that we would be able to interact with the world around us in a way that would not damage who we are in Him.

In the book of Isaiah there was a decline in the society of the day. It was visible in every aspect of that society, in the spiritual, moral and political environment. Isaiah 3:16-26 talks of the women of the time.

The commentary in my study Bible describes it so well: "In the midst of decline, the women of Judah were characterized by their devotion to all kinds of things related to fashionable and external appearance rather than to inward holiness and love for God. They were self-centered women, searching for sexual attractiveness and thinking only of their wants, but showing no concern for the oppressed, the poor, or the tragic spiritual condition of their families and people."

God demanded holiness in the women of that day. And He still does. He drew a line in the sand a long time ago. He is the one that made a distinction between male and female. And as society continue to decline in this present day, that line of distinction is becoming more and more dim.

How many times have I been off and looked at someone questioning within myself exactly what they were?

I enjoy being a lady, so it is hard for me to fathom. In some churches today you cannot tell the women sitting on the pews from the women in the streets. That sounds harsh, doesn't it? But it is no less true.

Isaiah 4:1 And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel; only let us be called by thy name (let thy name be called upon us) to take away our reproach.

In this day and age, no one wants to hear about what God may require of them. "We want to do our own thing, dress the way WE want to dress, consume what WE want to do, but we still want to be called by Your Name."

There was a price for these people in Isaiah's day. There were consequences for their actions and lack of concern for the things in God's Word.

So are there today.

When we love our children we set boundaries for them. There are certain places we don't want them to go, certain toys we don't want them to play with. We don't let the run around willy nilly sticking things in light sockets or play in traffic. We feed them nutritious food and dress them warmly in the cold.

We teach them right from wrong. Why?

Isn't that obvious?

So why should not our Father set guidelines for us so that we will be protected from the things of the world that could harm us?

Should we resent our loving parents when they did not allow us to run through the house with scissors?

Should we resent our loving God for the plan of protection He has laid out for us?

The Word of God is to teach us how to live in this world until He comes to take us back, and how to do that causing the least amount of damage to us that we can. It is designed to help us know how to deal with situations and not come away broken.

And I thank Him always for knowing my failings, my shortcoming, and setting up a plan to protect me, not only from this world, but from MYSELF.

No comments: