Monday, March 7, 2011

Can You Keep A Secret??

I have noticed something over the years: People like to talk, especially about other people.

When my children were little it was always painful when they would come home from school hurt over something someone had said.

I had no explanation that could make them understand how someone could be hurtful except to explain that most of the time when someone says something to hurt you it is because they are hurting themselves and somehow when they hurt you it keeps them from feeling their own pain.

Now my children are grown and I still find myself searching for explanations as to why people can be so cruel.

I know, He never promised us a world free of pain and strife, but when those that you trust hurt you, the pain is harder to explain away.

I spent some time today with someone who was relating a conversation they had had with someone else.

They were speaking of a situation that had risen and suddenly they began to relate to me the reason they heard the situation had come about.

And as I listened to why this person I did not even know had lost everything I felt sick inside.

The details were so insidious that they rang in my ears. All I could think as the one who bore the news finished with a twist to their mouth like they had just imparted me with some tantalizing secret knowledge about someone I have never met was....how horrible...

The fact is, if this was true, this person's life is ruined forever, covered in a disgrace that soap won't wash off.

But....what if it's not true?

What if there is no basis of fact at all in what I was told....yet people are still telling it?

This person's life is still, more than likely, ruined forever.

I know how people think. Unfortunately, it is more entertaining to believe the worst.

There are people in this world that thrive on carrying tales. I would that I could write this today and say I have never listened, but I can't.

And I know that there have been times that I have heard words coming out of my mouth and thought....**wait a minute....what am I doing?**

What does God say about gossip in His Word?

"For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I wish, and that I shall be found by you such as you do not wish; lest there be contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, backbitings, whisperings, conceits, tumults"
(2 Corinthians 12:20).

"You shall not go about as a talebearer among your people; nor shall you take a stand against the life of your neighbour: I am the Lord" (Leviticus 19:16).

"And besides they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house, and not only idle but also gossips and busybodies, saying things which they ought not"
(1 Timothy 5:13).

"For I heard many mocking: 'Fear on every side!' 'Report,' they say, 'and we will report it.' All my acquaintances watched for my stumbling, saying, '...we will take our revenge on him'" (Jeremiah 20:10).

"Likewise the soldiers asked him, saying, 'And what shall we do?' So he said to them, 'Do not intimidate anyone or accuse falsely, and be content with your wages'"
(Luke 3:14).

"Do not speak evil of one another, brethren. He who speaks evil of a brother and judges his brother, speaks evil of the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is one Lawgiver, who is able to save and destroy. Who are you to judge another?" (James 4:11,12).

"Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone..." (Matthew 18:15).

This **tale** that I heard today could cost this person their job, their children, and possibly their freedom. Yet, it was delivered with a smirk.

I recently spoke with someone who has been the victim of gossip at the hands of their **brethren.**

I had no words to make it better, just as before.

But I wept when they told me, "I don't have friends in the church. They have hurt me, turned their back on me, said things about me that aren't true."

I thought of Jesus, kneeling in the sand, while those that had accused the adulterous woman were called to come forward, cast the first stone.

In the end, there was none left, except the woman and the Lord.

John 8:10-11

10When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

There have been many times in my life that, for whatever reason, I have learned something as I did today. I can be real and admit that I have probably thought to share it with someone else, and even, at times, I have.

And it was wrong.

There is something painfully broken in a soul that would derive joy from purposely hurting another, after all, words are a powerful thing.

What did I say to this person that was hurt recently?

I said, "I love you."

I said, "When all the gossips are gone, He is still there."

I said, "It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about you, all that matters is what you KNOW."

Now, can you keep a secret??

Good. Keep it.

No comments: