Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I'll Love You Forever

I received a nice surprise when I woke up this morning. I usually check my email when I am trying to wake up immediately when I get out of bed and right before I get my morning coffee, so my eyes are not completely open.

I noticed I had a message from someone I know of, but don't really know.

The message was about my Dad.

And I cannot express how wonderful it was to know someone else thinks about him, too.

Since I was already misty-eyed I just kept it going by thinking about the day that I married.

My Daddy refused to "Give" his daughters away.

He said, "I don't give MY children away."

So, the minister had to say, "Who PRESENTS this woman to be married?"

And, he would respond, "Her mother and I."

As we stood by the double doors awaiting our time to walk into the sactuary he squeezed my hand and said, "You don't have to do this. The car is running outside. I will just go in and tell the WE changed our minds."

That's how it was.

We were a unit.

And neither love nor money could separate us.

Even when I said "I do" I was still Jim Merritt's baby girl.

No words or piece of paper changed that in his mind (and in mine).

I have made mistakes, taken some tumbles, gotten into some scrapes and cried some tears.

No matter what, my Mama and Daddy were still there, even when the problems I faced were caused by my own hands.

I may have had to listen to "I told you so" but it was laced with love.

So, I thought about that "Prodical" son.

When he asked for his portion and took off to find his dreams I am pretty sure his dad did not celebrate.

Nope. But the Bible does say he celebrated.

He celebrated, not when his son came home in a jet, with gold dripping off every part of his body.

It says he celebrated when his son came back after living with the pigs of life, broke and broken.

Because no matter what, he was still his son, and he didn't pay him off to get him out of his hair.

That daddy didn't give HIS son away.

Neither did Jesus give me away.

Even when I took all the riches He had given me and walked away.

Even when I came back broke and broken.

He celebrated and restored me so I could celebrate, too!!

My Daddy may be gone, but I have no doubt that he loved me. I was still his baby until he drew his last breath. And even now, when he is gone from this world, I still belong to him.

And I am holding on to that love that I received from them, even in the bad times, because they gave me something that will last as long as I do, and beyond to my children, and their children.

And so on, and so on....as long as the Lord taries.

I know, beyond a doubt, that love will carry on as long as times lasts.

As long as I'm living....their baby I'll be.

No comments: