Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Yesterday, Today....Forever

I remember still the warmth of your hand as it held mine, the strength you had as you would lift me like an easy burden to gently carry me to my bed and tuck me safely inside.

You, with those eyes so blue, your heavy step as you entered a room, announcing to everyone YOU had arrived.

All those memories of you float in my mind.

There are so many things we never say until it's too late, and although I know you cannot hear the words today my heart feels lighter to say them.

You were a man that I was proud to call my Daddy.

Did you always do everything right? No. But then, neither do I. I am your child, after all, born of the flesh.

Did you ever give me a reason to not be proud of who you were?

Absolutely not.

I spent my younger years in awe of you, because you were larger than life to me.

But then time happened, and you became not only my powerful Daddy who could fix any problem and answer any question, you became my friend.

I could confide in you, call you with any problem, and you would listen and advise.

And it is so impossible for me to comprehend you are gone, even a year later.

How can someone like you suddenly be gone? Even with the sickness, with the loss of physical power, you were still my first crush, the measuring stick that no one could ever fully measure up to. And I guess, that's the way it is supposed to be for little girls.

Yesterday I said goodbye.

Today my heart still aches.

And I still hear you, whispering in my heart, you still walk the halls of my dreams.

I think of how it must have been for you, at the end. Even though I know you were ready to go, I also know that you hated to leave us, hated to leave your sweetheart who hastened to join you.

I sit here today missing you, just the same as yesterday.

But I have memories that sing in my soul....

The memory of you, being baptised in the Name of Jesus, just like in the Book of Acts....

The memory of you, receiving the Holy Ghost....

The memory of you raising your voice in praise to the One who gave you all.

And I have that HOPE that someday I WILL see you again.

I will see you again forever.

I love you, my sweet, precious Daddy. I will miss you till that day.

No comments: