Friday, July 29, 2011

Let Me Entertain You....

Several months back I was relating a story I had heard to Bro. Wood at church. I told him how Bro. Darryl Bennett had picked up a man on the way to my brother's church and ended up giving the man a Bible study which resulted in the man being baptized.

I mean, how awesome is that?

That Sunday Bro. Wood showed up with a visitor.

I was fascinated by this gentleman. Bro. Wood had picked him up and I began to talk to him and was intrigued by his apparent English accent. So I asked him where he was from.

He said he was from Douglas.

He had an intensity, and everything he talked about was so interesting that I was left wanting to hear more.

"Do you know, people think I'm crazy?" he said. I was afraid he may be more sane than most of us would ever be.

A few days later I saw him again at the bakery across the street from where I work. He was sitting alone at a table and I went over to say hello. He remembered my name and the names of the others at church.

And he began to tell me stories. One in particular was about the devil coming to his door one night when he was living in Tennessee.

I was enthralled by his stories, mostly because most of the world would listen to him and think, "What a nut!"

But, I guess I'm a nut enough to wonder, "What if it's true?"

I saw him several more times over the course of the next couple of weeks.

One morning when I arrived to work he was sitting on the curb outside my office. He had plugged his laptop into one of the outside plugs and was typing away.

He immediately began to tell me a story about one day when he was walking through town. He said he was down that day, thinking about everything and the Lord came up and put his arm around his shoulder and began to walk with him.

He said he asked the Lord what he was doing, and the Lord told him He just felt like he needed a hug.

Then he said the Lord told him He needed to leave because He had things to do and He was gone.

He looked up as the Lord left and he said the sky was full of angels. Thousands of angels.

I began to talk to him and I told him, "You know, that's what I want. I want to see the spiritual things that are going on around me. And I pray all the time that God would open my eyes to see things around me."

Then I said to him. "I want you to pray for me when you pray, that God will use me."

His eyes got big and he just stared at me for a minute. Then he smiled at me and said, "From your lips to His ears."

And he thanked me for wanting him to pray for me. He told me that I was a good woman.

I told someone about the incident and they voiced my thought on the whole thing. "I think he was an angel."

Maybe so. I will never know, I guess. I have only seen him once from a distance since that day, but I still think about him and the stories he told me.

And I know, believe me. I have been a nurse too long not to think "Ok, he is schizophrenic."

But, then the other side of me says...."But what if he was an angel."

The Word talks about us entertaining angels unaware. I believe in His Word and its there. So, that means it is true, it can happen.

And even if that was not the case in this instance it allowed me to believe in the possibilities.

I still long for Him to use me, to show me the things they saw in Biblical times when they believed in possibilities and saw those possibilities come to pass. I want that. I want to experience everything He has for me.

Thank You, my precious Saviour for reminding me again how great You are. I know if You did it before You will do it again. And I want to be a part of whatever You have!! I love You today more than ever. Thank You for loving me.

No comments: