Monday, July 11, 2011

Life Lesson # 758

I had a very strange experience today. Leaving the church after prayer service I pulled out of the church drive onto the highway at a normal speed.

Ok....maybe I was a Grandma....

And this Tahoe came barreling over the hill.

Now there was NOTHING coming when I pulled out, but by the time I got on the highway and looked in my rear view mirror they were gaining on me at a rapid rate of speed.

So I punched it.

About the time I punched it I passed the exact spot that I saw my son laying crumpled at after he was hit by the truck.

And I was struck anew by how fast life can change, how precious life is.

I know when it happened I called my brother, but I didn't call anyone else until the next day because I knew how upset they would all be.

And upset they were. As sick as my mother was she wanted to come back here and take care of her boy.

So, this weekend something happened to me that should have made me really sad.

Now, I'm not going to say it didn't bother me, but probably not as much as it should have.

I have learned some very important life lessons in the past few years.

One was learned standing on the side of the highway looking down, and two more were learned standing by open graves. There are some things in life worth fighting for. Love is one of those things. And, boy....has my life been filled with great love.

I spent a good part of Saturday afternoon laying on the couch, alone in my parents house. Just thinking, remembering, and weeping for the loss of my wonderful parents. Letting go of the house seems like shutting a heavy door.

And as I came home I was blindsided by something that I still don't understand.

And I probably never will.

Today I was reminded how different my life could be this very second. I was reminded again what really matters, and what really doesn't.

I don't have time in my life for foolishness. I don't have time. Each and every day is ticking away and I refuse to be sucked into stupidness. Let me share something with whoever may happen upon this little blog of mine.

I learned some things in my life the hard way. It is the result of those hard lessons that I am the person I am today. Not the person I was 31 years ago. I have grown up, put away childish things, and realized I have a choice to make each and every day. My choice is happiness. My choice is happiness.......

Life Lesson # 758. Expect the unexpected. And then suck it up and keep on keeping on. After all, the sun is still shining, even behind the clouds.

No comments: