Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My Attitude....your problem....

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

This world is not my home....I'm just a passin' through....My treasures are laid up....somewhere beyond the blue....the angels beckon me....from Heaven's open door....and I can't feel at home in this world any more.

I have found many things to be true in life.

I have found it to be true that no matter how old you get, you still battle bullies. The only difference is they may be dressed nicer.

I have found that no matter how old you get, life still happens. But, it is the way that you handle those happenings that make the difference.

And I have found that I have an attitude.

Paul was writing to the church in Phillippi. During these cordial letters he managed to place some correction to deal with problems that were facing the church there such as discouragement, disunity, and disloyalty.

How relevant for today, huh?

If you will notice there is a word in there that is not heard much in our modern times.

VIRTUE

What is virtue, you may ask?

I have taken the liberty of looking it up for you.

1 a : conformity to a standard of right: morality b : a particular moral excellence
2 plural : an order of angels
3 a beneficial quality or power of a thing
4 manly strength or courage : valor
5 a commendable quality or trait : merit
6 a capacity to act : potency
7 chasity especially in a woman

What happens when you "think on these things?"

Let's read verse 9:

"Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me (Paul), do: and the God of peace shall be with you."

Have you been searching for peace in your life? Maybe it is the things that are clogging up your mind that are also robbing you of peace.

If you continue on you will find Paul states in verse 11: "for I have learned in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."

And THEN, in verse 13 Paul states: "I can do ALL things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Paul is a particular "hero" of mine. He came by the Truth the hard way. And yet when he got it, he lived it with everything he had. Nothing stood in the way of his relationship with the Almighty.

I have found many things to be true.

I have found that when I truly live this LIKE THE WORD TELLS ME TO....it makes people uncomfortable.

When I spend my time thinking on "those things" instead of dwelling on the things that the world at large have placed importance on I am ostracized and misunderstood.

Good.

Perfect.

That is JUST what I was shooting for.

My Bible tells me that I am to "be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God." (Romans 12:2)

So, if the way that I am keeps you from wanting to be my bud....

If my attitude against the sins of this world rubs you the wrong way.....

If I talk about Jesus just a little more than you are comfortable with.....

That's your problem, not mine.

I have made my decision.....I have staked my claim.....I have drawn a line in the sand and I won't be ashamed....with the world BEHIND me and the Cross BEFORE....by the grace of God I WILL SERVE THE LORD.

I have no intention of backing up or backing down.

I have made up my mind.

"Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.......Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in the time to come. She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness. She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. Her children arise up , and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth he. Many daughter have done virtuously; but thou excellest them all. " Proverbs 31:10-12, 25-29.

Virtue is still in fashion. This is what I strive to be. It may not be Hollywood's idea of who I should be, but it is God's.

Verses 30-31 say this: "Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her own works praise her in the gates."

Would you be able to eat your own "fruit?" Would the "work" that you do be a praise that would proceed you into the city where you live?


Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

This is my attitude.....and if it doesn't suit you......well.......

No comments: