Wednesday, November 16, 2011

An Underachieving Overachiever

I am the youngest child in my family. My brother, who is oldest, is a little over 6 years older than me and my sister is a little over 4 1/2 years older.

Until the day my parents died they still referred to me as "the baby."

Now, I am not complaining, by any means. I enjoyed being the baby of the family.

Up until my parents really started having health problems I was not allowed to drive their cars. It only happened then because I don't think they had any choice. Honestly, it was always like I just learned to drive.

And before it is mentioned; my early driving record wasn't the greatest, OK? I know this. Yes, I was in 3 accidents in less than a month. But I can assure you NONE of them were my fault.

Other than that, my record was good.

Didn't matter.

I think everyone was surprised when I went to college....and PASSED!

Not that they thought I was stupid, but it is almost like I was perpetually 14 years old.

I have found that I want to push myself. There are so many things I want to do, so many things I want to be involved in.

And I sometimes tend to load my plate till it overflows......

Then the goal becomes learning to carry the plate without it overflowing.

I was thinking about that today as I was riding along trying to shove as many errands as I could into my break. I was thinking that it is probably surprising to some that I can function at the speed I do. I know there are **some** who can't imagine I can run my own bathwater without scalding my skin off....(that is an inside joke)

Here I am, in school again. When I started I thought to myself, "I am going to make all A's!"

Eh, I have all B's.....that will do.

Once I got started I realized that my best bet would be to survive this without ending up on the brink of exhaustion....or on the brink, period.

In my head I can imagine myself doing all these great and amazing things. And then I end up doing ordinary and average things.

I have found this to be good.

This is the wonderful thing about being an overachiever....my *average* is set a little higher than the (cough) average average! (he he he)

So, even though I underachieve....I somehow break even.

Ah, well....this middle-aged baby is tired.....

Can someone please come pull down the covers and tuck me in??

No comments: