Monday, June 18, 2007

Ready for the Fight

I have been rehashing Pastor Weeks' sermon from Father's Day. Over and over he brings forth the Word and leaves me with my mouth open and an increased desire to please God more and more.

The message for Father's Day was "Captains instead of Kings" taken from I Kings 20:24. I could go on and on and on about the message, but there was a verse that he mentioned that really caught me.

I Kings 20:11 states "
And the king of Israel answered and said, Tell him, Let not him that girdeth on his harness boast himself as he that putteth it off."

In other words, while you are putting on your Armour don't boast like the man that is taking his armour off because he has already been through the battle, he has fought the fight and been victorious.

Bro. Burgess spoke at Legacy about "getting down to your fighting weight" like boxers do when they are getting ready for a big fight. They shed what may weigh them down and this allows them to be more effective in the fight.

That is my desire. I have let so many things in my life weigh me down and keep me from being where I need to be with God. Life has become my *cement shoes* and I have found myself sinking to the bottom of my circumstances. I know that God is going to bring me through, but instead of boasting about the outcome of the battle I have yet to fight, I need to concentrate on getting ready to fight the battle.

How do I do that? According to the text my Pastor used in his message Sunday morning we should "
Take the kings away, every man out of his place, and put captains in their rooms," meaning we need captains to lead the way into the battle, men that are prepared for the battlefield, men who have fought before and know what it is to fight. Kings are not accustomed to the battlefield, but captains have fought their way up the ranks and know how to be victorious.

And we have to remember that it takes fighter to live for God. We can never begin to think that once we have won a battle we never have to fight that particular battle again. We have to be the ones to order the battle, to take the initiative and stand to fight.

As I prepare today for the battle, Lord help me to shed my life of those weights that drag me down and hinder my fight. Let me be focused and consecrated, and let me look toward those who have fought before me. Let me become a fighter, following the examples of the captains you have placed in my life. And on that glorious day when I stand before You as my fight is finished I will praise You for being my King and my Captain forever.

Thank you Pastor Weeks for always being true to the Gospel and obedient to the leading of the Lord. How blessed we are at Truth Harbor!


No comments: