Saturday, January 19, 2008

When They Don't Understand

In the Book of Acts in the 5th chapter you read an account of Ananias and his wife, Sapphaira. In order to understand the significance of what happened to them, though, it is necessary to back up some.

"And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were ALL filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." (Acts 2:1-4)

"And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them ALL. Neither was there any among them that lacked..." (Acts 4:33-34)

Oh, what would it have been like to have been in that upper room when the Holy Ghost fell? I can only relate it to my own experience, and knowing how it was for me, to imagine everyone with one mind, in one accord, worshipping, praying, waiting, anticipating the promise, excites my heart.

Ananias and Sapphira sold a possession, and unlike the others who "sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold, And laid them down at the apostles' feet" (Acts 4:34-35), they kept a part of the price, thinking no one would know.

Peter addressed first Ananias and then Sapphira. "Thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God" he spoke to Ananias in chapter 5 verse 4. This transgression cost them their lives.

It is hard for me to understand some things. I have been a partaker of His grace, a recipient of His mercy. I have been in my own upper room, and I lack for nothing.

And there is NOTHING I want to hold back from God.

Did Ananias and Sapphira simply not understand the price of what they had been given? I'm not speaking of the money they received for the land, I am talking about that glorious day when the Holy Ghost moved through that room.

I know people who have received the same as I, the same as those waiting in that room so many years ago. And yet they still hold back, keeping part of themselves from God, they give only a portion to Him, to His work.

To these, it seems, they never have any depth to their walk with God, preferring to stay on the outskirts, afraid they may be found to still have a portion withheld. But what they don't understand is God knows.

I give You my all today. I give You my everything. It is such a small sacrifice for all You have done for me. Search me always, every part of me, and help me to know my failings, help me to see my shortcomings, and let me reach deep down and pour out all that I am to You. For I know the richness of what You have given me. I worship You with ALL of me.

No comments: