Thursday, April 17, 2008

Music To Dance To

I heard a story long ago about an incident that happened during the Holocaust. It seems a group of Jewish men had been marched out into the snowy night, naked, and stood in front of their armed German captives.

One of the Germans tauntingly said to a Jewish man while holding him at gunpoint, "Let's see you dance before your God now!"

And so that man began to dance, slowly at first, since the bottoms of his feet had frozen into the snowy ground.

With each time he would lift his feet, his skin would stay behind, leaving bloody footprints in the snow.

Yet he danced harder and harder to that precious music only heard in his heart, giving his praise to Jehovah.

Before long others joined in and then more and more, until the snow was literally covered with blood.

Sometimes in my own walk I tend to let the music of my heart die out to be replaced by the drone of situations and obstacles.

More than ever, it is during the hard times in my life that I need to heed to the beat of His Glory, and dance with everything I have.

It is times like these that I face now, that I should be dancing. It is easy to dance when everything is moving to an easy rhythm.

But He is worthy even when the music seems to stop, and I only have a memory of the melody. He is worthy even when I am bleeding, even when the steps cause me pain. For He IS the music of my life. He is my reason for singing, and the steps of my dance. He deserves my best, even when giving my best seems impossible, I know that with each step I am closer to Him. And that's just where I want to be.

No comments: