Monday, June 9, 2008

Getting Focused On What's Important

As you know, I have been having a love affair with photography.

There is just something about getting that incredible shot that give me such a rush. It must be what it feels like to shoot a 10 point buck, or something!

I cannot wait to get home and upload my pictures so that I can look at them through a larger venue.

What a disappointment when I pull up that picture that looked so perfect on my LCD screen only to find it is blurry.

Sometimes it happens because I have inadvertently been focusing on something besides my subject, usually without realizing it. And although my subject will be *almost* in focus there may be something else in the background, or some part of my subject besides my focal point, that is crystal clear.

The thing about photography is, that moment has one chance of being captured. If you find it is not in focus, chances are, you have missed a great shot with no opportunity to take it again and have just the right circumstances available to make the shot great again.

Doesn't life seem like that sometimes?

I have found myself out of focus lately. Without even realizing it was happening I have taken my view off of what should be my main subject and let my surrounding distract me. I have been focusing on murmurings coming from areas around my main subject instead of that which I should.

My brother was listening to me rant the other day. His calm voice of reason made everything clear.

It is so like the devil to try to take my eyes off of those things that are truly important and have me focus on something that really doesn't matter. Sometimes before I even know what has happened my view is muddied up by nonsense.

But sometimes he gets way to much credit, and I have to admit that I have allowed things to distract me.

And I have found I don't have time for the pettiness that I have seen. I need to remember what Andrew Carnegie said.

"As I grow older I pay less attention to what men say, I just watch what they do."

Lord, I am here, once again, needing You. I don't understand the world, but I suppose I am not supposed to. Help me to remember Your words in John 16:33, "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." Help me to focus on the task You have placed before me, and not be distracted by the *well-meaning, ill-informed.* I know that I have to keep my eyes off those that would cloud my view. Give me Your strength, increase my focus, give me Your wisdom, and Your guidance. For I know this world would distort my view, but You are my clarity. You have kept me over and over and over again!!! I love You!!

No comments: