Saturday, June 21, 2008

Grace Sufficient

One day I'm going to write a book.

I don't think it will be a best seller because I won't be writing things that the world at large particularly wants to hear, but write I shall.

I will write about His hand of protection, of His love, of His mercy.

I will write about His grace.

I think that some have a misconception about grace. Grace is not some super power that takes away all of your problems and sets you up with a condo on easy street.

Over and over in my life I have been drawn to the words of Paul in 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 "And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee; for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."

Sound familiar? It should. I have repeated it many times.

I have seen some people in life that I have thought, "WOW, they just seem to be going through it!"

One day while reflecting on the events in my life I thought, *WOW, we just seem to be going through it!!!*

This past week was no exception to the *norm* of our lives around here. In one day my precious baby girl had to have surgery, my Dad was admitted to the hospital, and my grandmother (on my mother's side) passed away.

I was up visiting my Dad to let him know Denise had come through surgery fine and what the doctor had said he found (which is a testimony in itself) when I ran into someone I used to work with.

As I was relating the events of the day, he said, "You know, Sheri, no matter how bad things seem for me, I could always count on you to make me feel better about what was going on in MY life when I heard about yours!!"

It is hard for others to understand. I have been to the Lord and He has assured me His grace IS sufficient to see me through WHATEVER comes my way.

My life is not a game show where if I make it through some quest, or answer a series of questions correctly I get a new car, and a motorboat, and a trip to Hawaii.

Let me define sufficient for you according to Websters:

Sufficient: enough to meet the needs of a situation or a proposed end.

Now, look at His words in verse 12:9 when I use synonyms in the place of sufficient.

"My grace is QUALIFIED for thee:"

"My grace is COMPETENT for thee:"

"My grace is ENOUGH for thee:"

"My grace is ADEQUATE for thee:"

Indeed, it is all of those things, and so much more.

Someday, I'm going to write a book, a book for my children, for my grandchildren, about His grace, about the love of a Savior for someone like me, and how that love has been enough, has been adequate, has been qualified, has been competent enough to get me through EVERY situation I have faced.

And how, because of this marvelous grace, I have been able to *take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.*

Lord I suppose it would be easy for me to sit down and feel sorry for myself, and I have. But you always remind me of who You are, and what You are to me. You are my Savior, my Father, my Counselor, my dearest Friend. I glory in You, Lord. I love you!

No comments: