Friday, August 1, 2008

Sunshine During the Rain

My whole life I have been told that *If the sun shines while it is raining, that's the devil beating his wife.* So, naturally, when I see this phenomenon I say "Look, the devils beating his wife, again!!"

My wonderful Pastor's wife is away at a music conference this weekend. I received a text from her yesterday morning asking me if I would have a soundtrack ready for Sunday morning in her absence.

I haven't sang from soundtrack in quite some time, and all of mine are very dated, so I went to the gospel bookstore in town to look for something new. I elicited the help of one of the girls to help me find something wonderful since I am hooked on choir music and talk radio now (I know, I know, it's a terrible thing).

She proceeded to pull out several CD's and I plopped down in the chair in front of the CD player to have a listen.

That's when it hit me.

One of the lines talked about the sun shining during the pouring rain, and He spoke to me.

"That's what I did for you."

I didn't hear any more of the song.

I have this truck that I'm quite fond of (in case you didn't know that already...just hang on, I'm going somewhere..I promise).

I had it washed today so my husband and I could go out of town in a clean vehicle.

I was riding and thinking about how much I enjoy driving it when I thought, "You know, you wrote about this truck and you logged it as an inspirational article, but you mentioned nothing about God."

So, now I'm going to tell you "THE REST OF THE STORY."

My husband and I were young when we married. By the time I was 23 I had given birth to my both of my children and we were living on the edge of destruction. I had walked away from God, and in the space of a few months my husband lost his job and the fun began.

I had already started college by this time, and I would have lost my credits if I transferred, so we decided to tough it out.

That is an understatement. Those were some of the hardest years of my life. We both worked more than one job at a time and I even had 3 jobs for a span while still carrying a full load!!

We had no money to spare, a car that wanted to constantly tear up, and we were all alone.

It felt like it rained on us every day of our lives. Our marriage was shaky, my son was constantly sick, and my life was filled with sin.

I graduated from college in 1995 and on Easter Sunday, 1996 the Lord refilled me with the Holy Ghost at a service my brother was preaching. My son had continued to be small and have problems. They were certain he had Celiac Disease. But that Easter Sunday, I stood behind him as my brother laid hands on him and KNEW he was healed.

I told the Lord that day, "If this is what it took for You to get my attention, I am Yours, always."

I have held on every since, through disappointments and heartaches, through trials and tribulations, through it all.

But most importantly, He has held on to me.

As I sat there today He whispered to my heart, "That is what I did for You. When you only saw the rain, I was STILL the sunshine. When you only saw the darkness, I was STILL the Light."

Perhaps I was neglect in giving honor to my King. But this is the reason my praise is real, this is the reason I lift my voice, my heart, my very life to Him. You see, I was lost in a rainstorm. I forgot that the Son still shines, even behind the clouds.

But He didn't forget me. He said "I'll be your shelter in the storm, I'll be the Light for your path. I'll be your everything."

So, I have this truck that I love, but I truly understand where I have been and where He brought me from. I know the cost of my praise for Him. I know the price He paid for me.

And now you know the rest of the story.

No comments: