Thursday, August 21, 2008

With A Little Help...

"The friend of my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity."
~~~Ulysses S. Grant

I have found this to be true. I would imagine it to be hard to be in the position of Grant, especially during the Civil War. Not only was the country split, but friendships were split, families were split.

How lonely it must have been to be in the position of a General during that time. War is always a lonely time to me because war ultimately results in separation.

Sitting alone in their tents at night, thinking back over the decisions of the day, both the good and the bad, knowing that the decision either saved or cost the lives of sons, and husbands, and fathers.

They didn't have email or text messaging to send out an urgent need. How their faith must have been tested every hour of every day.

But imagine if they did.

USG: We have an important battle in the morning. I covet your prayers.

Gen. Sherman: I will call my officers together. We will be praying. Pray for us also. We lost many today.

USG: You have my prayers my friend.

There is something to be said for having someone with you, fighting in the trenches, battling the enemy by your side, lifting you up and standing with you in times of trouble.

We have been so blessed.

For so many years we were seemingly alone. Aside from our Pastor and his precious wife, there was no one we could confide in, no one to laugh with, to share with. And I feel like there were battles for me to fight during that time in my life that I needed to fight alone, that I needed to come through based on my faith alone to bring me to the place I am in now.

I have sat alone on the edge of the battlefield, weary and heart sore from the wounds that were inflicted. I have felt the loneliness of responsibility for those in my charge, praying my decisions were for our good and would not cause a fatality of faith in my children. I have stood when the only thing that held me up was the grip of grace in my life.

But, those times are a memory now. For you see, God has placed people in our lives that we can count on, people we can turn to, people we can cry with and laugh with, people that will fight right along side of us, that we will fight for, too.

I have always loved Ecclesiastes 4:9&10: Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him.

It goes on in verse 12 to say: ...If one prevail against him, two shall withstand him, and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

I am thankful today. Thankful that there are those I can turn to. Thankful that I have help.

Me: Please help me pray! We are in desperate need!!

Them: You bet! We have a need too!

Me: I will be praying.

Isn't that what it's all about? Standing in the gap for each other?

I know I can make it!! *with a little help from my friends*

God, I don't even know where to begin thanking You for all the treasures in my life. You have given me riches beyond measure in the guise of true friends. I feel like I am the wealthiest person on earth. How could You love me this much? I will never understand. But I thank You. Every day, every hour, every minute, I want to live my thanks to You! Because YOU are my BEST FRIEND! You have never, never let me down. I love You!

No comments: