Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Rainbow's End

All of my life I have heard that there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. All of my life I have longed to find the end of the rainbow.

One day, believe it or not, I saw it.

The end of the rainbow.

And where the bright colors ended was.....ground.

No pot of gold in sight.

My ex-husband used to say, "Sheri, there are people who are handed things, and there are people who have to work for everything they have. We are the ones who have to work."

Very true words.

I live a comfortable life. I am not rich, not by far, but I can afford to buy a new pair of shoes if I find a pair I like. I have groceries in my cabinets, a comfortable car that is paid for, and a pretty nice roof over my head.

And, I also have the promise of more.

There are places I have yet to see that I WILL see. Things I have yet to do that I WILL do.

My parents were pretty smart people. They taught me much about life. One of those lessons was that if you have a need YOU need to go out and work to fill that need.

They taught me not to look down, but to continually look up.

And, look up I have. I have never been afraid to roll up my sleeves and work. And, years ago when our children were small, both Bobby and I sacrificed so that we could make a good life for them. I didn't expect anyone else to pay to raise my children, they were the responsibility of their father and me.

I am where I am today because I chose to work hard, to make something of myself, to be able to support myself and not be a burden on anyone. And, I regret nothing about this choice. I do know this is not the choice for everyone, but that's ok, too. I don't look down on anyone for making a different choice. But, it does make me sad to see so much of our society sit around with their hands out, teaching their children that they are entitled to something they have in no way earned.

And, in doing so, sentencing their children and their children's children to abject poverty, to a life of barely scraping by, to being dependent on someone else for their very existence.

Everyone needs help at times, and I think help should be available. But, it should be just that, help, not how you make a living. I cannot imagine how you would not feel depressed knowing you had no part in earning your keep, how you would feel pride in yourself knowing nothing in your possession came from the sweat of your own brow.

As most know, the rainbow is a reminder of God's promise to Noah in Genesis 9:13. There is something glorious when you see a bright rainbow arch across the sky. I have never seen one that I have not thought of this story and God's promise not to again destroy the earth in such a way.

But, you know, there was more there than just God's promise. He also gave Noah guidelines to follow, things He expected.

He didn't promise something for nothing.

And, neither should we expect something for nothing.

I am always mindful of those that need a helping hand, but I in no way feel guilty for having something that I can share, for having those things that I have worked for.

We taught our children this.....

If you have a need, you need to get out and work to fill that need.

So far, so good.

At the end of the rainbow, if you ever see it, is usually ground, earth, etc.

And that ground, that earth promises to provide you with sustenance, if you are willing to work for it.

No comments: