Monday, March 26, 2007

OOPS..I did it again

Well, today is another day, full of opportunities. And already today I have had the opportunity to do good and shine my light before man....

And I failed. I don't even know why I failed, but I did.

One of my personal favorite "Aunt Sheri Stories" happened when I was in high school. I had a class upstairs and as I was leaving the class and starting down the stairs I could feel myself begin to fall. I had my arms full of my books and there was nothing or no one nearby to grab hold to. So I announced loudly "Oh, here I go!!" as my books went one way and I went another. I was not hurt and neither was anyone else by the flying books (or the flying Sheri for that matter). But I sure did get picked on for quite sometime. My friends nearby thought it was hilarious that I *announced* that I was about to fall. And it was, it really was.

It was scary at first, knowing I was about to plunge headfirst down those concrete steps. Oh I could laugh when it was over and everything was OK. But while it was happening, at that instant when I could feel myself begin to fall and I couldn't help it or stop it, well, that wasn't fun at all.

I have prayed that I could be an example, that I could be a tool, an instrument to be used to reach people. And right when I had the opportunity to be all of those things and more I could feel myself falling and I didn't know how to stop. Only now it's not funny and I am disappointed in myself for falling, and for failing Him.

Now, here's the deal. I could sit here and say that it is no use, that I had no business thinking I could be used, that I could make a difference, and I could let that rotten attitude that assaulted me this morning become who I am. I mean after all, that would be the easy way, wouldn't it? OR I can rise above it, and not let myself lie there in the mess I created. I can stand back up and say, alright people, I fell, but I will rise up, and I will keep going, and I will be better. And I can say, "hey, I was rotten, and I'm sorry."

Because that is what the world truly needs to see, that I am made of flesh and that I fall, but I do get back up.

My gracious Father, I am so glad for Your mercy today. You have blessed me in more ways than I could ever thank You for. Today is no exception. For it is by Your mercy that can keep going even when I make mistakes. But mostly today, I thank You for Your grace, because I know that mercy is needed, but Your wonderful mercy is available to all. I thank You today for the grace that let me see myself in my *fallen* sinful situation, and that through Your love for ME, You gave me the grace by which I stand. Let me walk in a way befitting a child of the King. And when I do fall, let me praise You for Your hand that lifts me to my feet again.

Even though You know me, yet You love me....again and again and again.....
Your fallen child.

No comments: