Thursday, March 25, 2010

I'm Too Old For This

I don't know if any of you remember when we got the truck but, yea, I can't drive it.

If I am going to be on the interstate or I find about 4 empty parking places together than I am ok, really!

But, other than that, not so much.

So, I cut my loses a while back and went back to driving my little Suzuki. That is, until my daughter needed a ride.

Bobby came home with a little red number, a *Dave Ramsey Car* that gets very good gas mileage, so Denise got the Suzuki and I got a glorified go-cart.

It will eventually get up there to a good cruising speed, but I don't really push it too much. And I can park it ANYWHERE!! Amazing! I actually feel like a good driver again.

It is the, well, getting up and down off the ground as I get in and out of it that has proved to be the biggest challenge. I don't see how anybody going through mid-life crisis can make themselves feel younger by hoisting themselves in and out of an itty bitty sports car.

If anything, it has been a blatant, slap in the face kind of reminder that "the old gray mare just ain't what she used to be." And I am just pleased that I have managed to develop a technique that diminishes my awkwardness as much a possible.

But, you have to take the good with the bad. And I know that the truck would thank me if it could with it's many battle scars from mailboxes, curbs, posts and various other things I smacked along the way (some without even knowing it).

I don't exactly go vvrrrooommm vvrrroommm anymore, more like bbbbzzzz bbbbbzzzzz, but, hey, I still get to ride in the truck and I do drive it in low danger zones. So if my back survives I will have some extra pocket change to pay any medical expenses should my back not survive...

If you happen to see a middle aged lady running around in a little red car, I'm not having a mid-life crisis....I'm having a large-truck crisis.

No comments: