Friday, May 11, 2007

A Brand New Day

Today is a brand new day
The Lord has made
I will rejoice and be glad

I have no words to describe how I feel in my heart tonight. Yesterday seems so dark, today I see the sun shining in my life.

I have been thinking about great love tonight. What is great love, you ask? I'll try to tell you if I can.

Great love is that love that wraps itself around your heart and squeezes it with emotion. It's more than a feeling, it's a sense of being completed, of being made whole.

Great love survives the trials of life only to become greater love.

You're thinking "what in the world?" (this is a Georgia phrase, if you don't understand then you're out of luck) Yesterday was the unveiling of the new and improved Ms. *DOOM & GLOOM*. I'll tell you what happened, the morning came, revealing once again hope can always overcome hopelessness.

Today at lunch I walked into my Mom's room in ICU expecting to see that frail creature that has taken the place of my mother. Much to my surprise and delight, there lay my Mama. My Mama that has been missing for so long. I looked into the eyes of my Mama. I heard the laughter of my Mama. I saw her, felt her touch, and it healed my brokeness with the virtue of love.

As I returned to work, my heart was lighter.

I had to go in and talk with a family about nursing home placement for an elderly lady. As I walked into the room she smiled at me from her bed full of pillow from home. Beside her sat her daughter, eyes red from tears, brow furrowed, etched with pain. I opened the discussion by asking them about their plans after discharge since we had been told they wanted to use a nursing home in Macon.

The daughter wiped her eyes and stated "We're going home. I'm taking care of her."

My eyes filled with tears as I held that soft old hand, curled by age. I looked into the red eyes of the daughter and said, "I understand."

As soon as I could get back, I was standing there, looking into the warm eyes of my mother, drinking in her laughter, basking in the sunshine of her smile.

Oh, I know yesterday some thought I was down for the count. They don't understand the power of great love. They don't understand its worth.

But I do, I do.

Now I'm looking toward tomorrow, after all....*tomorrow is another day*
(I know, pretty cheezy, but I couldn't resist)

1 comment:

Denise said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better.