Monday, May 21, 2007

Do as I say....and as I do....

I spent the day at the Court House, attempting to do my civic duty. After numerous hours and almost completing the book I've been wanting to read, I was discharged without ever making it to the "second level."

There was a variety of humanity crammed into that room. By the time I drifted in, it was standing room only. So I stood, for over 2 hours.

As did some elderly women, and elderly men, and a man who was crippled...

And from my lofty post I saw many healthy, able-bodied men who never offered their seats.

Where did all the gentlemen go, I wondered, out loud. And I thought of my husband and I knew without a doubt that he would have been out of his chair, and standing on his feet rather than sitting knowing someone else may NEED to sit.

Then I thought of my son, and I knew without a doubt that he would also be out of his chair, in a second, standing on his feet.

I wondered what the children of today have been taught, or not taught, since most of the children coming up today have basically raised themselves. (Yes, I really said that)

Then one of the girls I work with sent me an advertisement from Australia. And it was so vivid, and so heartbreaking, and I wanted to share.


No comments: