Wednesday, July 11, 2007

*Right* NOW Faith

"...I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. Be strong and of good courage..." (Joshua 1:5-6)

Rahab was a harlot. Yet when the king of Jericho came to her wanting her to turn over the men that were in her house she set in motion events that would place her, a harlot, in the bloodline of the Saviour. All because she had faith in a God she did not even know.

I do know Him. I know the One that formed the earth, the One that breathed the breath of life into a human form. Yet this woman who had only heard of the things that God had done for others possessed a far greater faith in His ability to deliver than I sometimes do, even though I have been a partaker many times of His goodness.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" (Hebrews 11:1) I have heard many powerful messages that included this verse and my own faith was increased each time.

Why is it I still let doubt creep in?

As I read of Elijah challenging the people to prove their god, I don't see any indication that as he was pouring water upon the sacrifice he had prepared that he at any time thought God would not come through. In 1st Kings 18:37 he prayed "Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou art the LORD God, and that thou hast turned their heart back again." (and on a side note--isn't it interesting that he said *heart* because as believers we do have to have the same heart toward Him)

Yet just one chapter away Elijah, who had called down fire from heaven that even burnt up the very stones surrounding the sacrifice, was sulking under a tree, whining, and wanting to die because opposition arose against him.

I was sure of myself and my faith was strong when I was thinking of an opportunity I knew was coming my way today. I reasoned within myself that I would ask a certain thing during a conversation and that would help me to know if it was the Lord's will for me or not. But unlike Gideon when my time came to look for my fleece I was afraid.

At that moment I should have had the faith of Rahab who could make petitions known to a God she had never met, instead I was like Elijah, sitting under a juniper tree, forgetting just Who I served.

And as He did for Elijah, He spoke to me in spite of myself.

Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

No comments: