Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Virtue or Vice

Jesus was walking through a crowd, no doubt the throng "pressed" in to touch Him from all angles, but for a certain desperate woman in a hopeless situation it was imperative that she reach Him and that His virtue reach her. And reach Him she did. (Mark 5:25-34 and Luke 8:43-48)

Earlier in Luke, in the 6th chapter, we find where a whole multitude was healed in the 19th verse as again the Word says His virtue went out and "healed them all."

So I began to think of the virtuous woman in the 31st chapter of Proverbs. Such qualities she possessed. Using her example as the yard stick by which I measure my own life I surely fall short.

When touching Jesus healing came from His virtue leaving Him. Virtue in this respect meant "power." So this would lead me to believe that power comes by living a virtuous life.

How do we do that in this day and age, that is my question. Of course, I know where the answer lies. "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." (Philippians 4:8)

2 Peter 1:5-8 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

So what happens if you do not seek to live a virtuous life? 2 Peter 1:9 states "But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins."

The Bible warns us against a life filled with what is the opposite of a virtue, and that is a vice. Proverbs 6:16-19 These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Galatians 5:19-21 goes further stating "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God."

Looking at the world around me today, it would seem virtue is out of style. Where are the women as are described in Proverbs? I am living in a world surrounded by people who care more for themselves and their own pleasures than they are concerned with home and family, not even to mention the things of God.

I shudder to think of what the NEXT generation will be like since it seems that it is no longer convenient to raise children. The world seems more concerned with propping them in front of a box full of poisonous entertainment or drugging them into silence since too many "normal" children have been deemed in need of medication when a good "old fashioned" remedy is probably more what is needed.

But I am not content to live for myself as most of the empty world seems to be. I am pressing through the crowd, looking for virtue. And I'm desperate. I'm desperate to see my children filled with moral character instead of pills, I'm desperate to see my lost love ones saved. I'm desperate to have a marriage filled with Godly love and passion. I'm desperate to reach this community with the precious Word of God. I am willing to push my way through, to work, to reach, to grasp until I reach Him, because I want that power in my life.

When I see so many I know giving their very souls to fill their lives with empty vices, I want my voice to rise above the noise of sin and cause Jesus to stop and say "Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace."

When the world says it is of no use, by the virtue of my faith, Lord, I know I must touch You.

Lord, let me live my life as a vessel of honor. Let me seek You with my whole heart. Let me press toward the mark of virtue, let me be a blessing to my family, and to those around me. And when I meet someone in need, let them meet You through me. I love You too much to fail You now.


No comments: