Thursday, March 27, 2008

An Appointment With The King

Ethan and I went to supper with Dad and Mom tonight. I have been enjoying being home and being able to go by and check on them more *now that I'm not a ZOMBIE anymore!*

We loaded them up and went to Ruby Tuesday's. Dad wanted the New Orleans Seafood, and Mom really wanted to try their Crab Cakes. Ethan and I were basically along for the ride.

I don't know what has happened to my Dad. I really have no way of even explaining it. Over the past months he had grown more and more bitter. It had really gotten to the point where I didn't even want to go to see them. I know that sounds horrible.

But, lately, he has been so happy and more at peace. He just laughs and talks.

I know I have mentioned it before how exceptionally hard it has been for me to watch my parents age. There are times when it doesn't seem so glaringly apparent, but tonight was not one of those times.

Dad was really wobbly tonight. His poor arms are covered in discolorations from who knows what.

My father was (and still is, I suppose) a *Newspaper Man.* I don't know if that gives him super-hero status or not, but he has spent his adult life driven by the written word. Now he cannot even see a menu, or tell the difference between a $5 bill or a $100 bill.

That hurts me.

We got back from eating and Dad was just so very chatty that I found myself leaning against the counter going from topic to topic.

Over and over he spoke of their longing to get out and do some things, to just *get well enough* to socialize again.

And then he said, "You know, *it* may happen anytime for your Dad."

I reminded him *it* may for me also.

And he spoke of someone he knows who recently lost their mother and how they had told him they were all there, all of her children and grandchildren, spending those last precious moments saying goodbye.

He said, "That would be the way to go."

Of course, Mom and I told him we were hoping we had more time.

That's what we all want, isn't it?

Pastor Weeks preached a message a few weeks back on the subject "An Appointment with the King."

We all have an appointment to keep someday. An appointment with King Death. (Romans Chapter 5) And as Pastor said, this is one appointment no one shall miss. It doesn't matter if you are famous or unknown, rich or poor, happy or sad, one day it will be time for your appointment.

Oh, how I want to be ready!

Please, continue to pray for my parents. I want to see them back in church, preparing for their appointment.

There are days, Lord, when all that gets me through is knowing that someday, at my journey's end, I can see Your face. I want to be ready for that day. Through my joys and through my sorrows, my thoughts, my prayers remain the same...."Even so, Come Lord Jesus."

No comments: