Monday, May 12, 2008

In His Hands

Denise is staying with her Papa tonight. He has had a rough day and, I fear, there are some rougher days ahead.

Denise was there when the doctor came in tonight. She said, "Mom, it's like they didn't even hear what the doctor said!"

I gently said, "For just a moment, imagine how you would feel if that were Shain lying there in that same situation after you had been together almost 50 years."

I know that my mother is afraid. My Dad is still unsure what state he is actually in, so he really is not grasping what is about to occur.

My mother is insisting that she wants to stay with him tomorrow night. Her feet are in poor shape, her mouth keeps bleeding, but she wants to sit in the horrifically uncomfortable chair at the bedside of the only man she has ever loved. I have a hard time blaming her.

I told the nurse tonight that my Dad knew he was blessed when he nabbed my Mama. She had the looks of a movie star. The girl asked how he managed to keep all of the other guys away.

He simply stated, "I'd bust their heads in for looking at her!"

It didn't hurt that he was quite a big guy!!

It's 0123 in the morning, and I am thinking about that young couple who found love and have somehow found a way to sustain it over years of ups and downs.

And I am thinking about the day that will coming when it will be time for them to keep their appointment with the King.

Jesus, I have never felt You as close as I do right now. You must surely be carrying me, for in my weakness from this present trial, I know I could not make it to the end without You. I am placing my life, my loves, my all in Your hands, believing in Your promises, knowing they are always true.

Thank You for my Dad and Mom. Thank You for working this time for our good. Every hour I need thee, Lord.



No comments: