Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Soap Box Hero

From my lofty view here on my soapbox, I can see some things so clearly.

And it is because if this crisp, clear vision I am writing this today.

I know it is incredible to think I have an opinion about anything, but.....

I do~I REALLY do!

And since this is my blog I will therefore and hereafter thereunto....~ehem ehem~....impart unto you my probably not so humble opinion on the following subject:

The World Is A Messed Up Place

Case in point--Bobby and I were strolling through WalMart. I was talking incessantly about some issues of *concern* in my life at present when I happened to clap my eyes on a dude with his entire tighty whitey behind in full view above his low hanging pants.

I cut out, mid sentence, and bellowed across WalMart "PULL UP YOUR PANTS!!!! THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!!"

The guy turned around abruptly, interrupted during his search for the perfect cereal, (as did everyone else in the grocery section), and with his mouth agape, jerked up the clothing article in question and sped down the isle.

I mean, why on earth would anyone think it is OK to walk around with their entire behind in full view for everyone to see?

That is just ludicrous!

And here is the other thing that just burns my biscuits!

When did being immoral become the norm, and being moral cause people to question??

For instance, I know young people that are doing their best to live a life they will have no reason to regret 10 or 15 years down the road. And because they are not all over someone of the opposite sex, because they are not drinking and partying, because they are not having sex in the closets at school, they are subject to the worst ridicule imaginable!

It is simply unreal.

In the times of old it was those of questionable moral character that faced torment from their peers.

Not so in this day and age. And it's not just young people who take part in this. I know of a teacher that questioned a young person's sexual orientation because they were not engaging in inappropriate behavior with someone of the opposite sex, because they have been taught that there are some things you can only give once, and that gift is wonderful and special, they were questioned by someone that is supposed to be upholding a positive image for the young people they teach.

I was appalled. I frankly wanted to go in and bean them in the face with my soapbox, but that is another story.

We have reached a place where wrong behavior is the accepted, and right behavior is condemned. We wonder why our children's school work is suffering, why gangs are increasing, and why more and more young people are ending up parents. We wonder why STD's are increasing so rapidly among school aged children, why drug use continues to escalate.

It is no wonder to me. I have noticed that most children are not raised anymore by parents standing perilously atop a soap box, sharing their views, teaching their believes, and in turn giving their children something to believe in. Increasingly children are raising themselves.

I shudder to think of the next step beyond the full view tighty whitey's in WalMart. Because it won't stop there. With no boundaries, no instruction, there is also NO Limits to what will happen.

So I salute YOU, the true American Parents out there, the ones who are not afraid to shout it from your own perilous perch. I send out my praise to you who still teach your children there is a difference between right and wrong (and that difference is not *we is right and they is wrong*).

And I say to you, don't give up, don't back down, and don't give in! We may only be a remnant of those that have gone before us, but our voices together will still carry!

Here's to all the Soap Box Hero's!! Keep on keeping on!!

No comments: