Monday, May 19, 2008

Sweet Dreams

There are so many quirky things I have hung onto from my childhood.

I remember when I was little we always said the same thing each night before we went to sleep.

"Good Night, Sweet Dreams, See You In The Morning."

Nothing fancy, but it was part of the nightly ritual.

Bobby and I raced down after work to check on Dad again. He is still having some confusion. Still having moments when he just can't remember where he is or how he got there.

He was pretty pooped out from dialysis and PT getting him up a couple of times today, so he slept the whole time we were there. His eyelids would flicker some and he did speak to us, although I would have doubted he would remember our visit (my sister told me he actually did!).

He was all slumped down, sideways in bed when we got there. Bobby and I decided before we left that we would get him all straightened out and prop his leg back up before we headed home.

I told him our intentions and his eyes popped wide open.

"WHERE did we get a HOSPITAL bed?!?" he wanted to know.

"Dad," I said, "Remember, you're in the hospital."

He just looked at me for a moment and then shook his head and began scooting up in the bed.

On the way home I told Bobby it must be so scary to wake up time after time and have forgotten each time where you are.

Lord, bring my Daddy some peace tonight. Give him restful slumber and sweet dreams. Awaken not only his mind, but his soul, Lord. Renew and refresh. I love you!!!!

No comments: