Sunday, May 25, 2008

Lemonade....That Very Special Drink

My Grandmother was a very good cook, and I suppose she still is, although at 84 she doesn't have the stamina to cook as she did when I was growing up.

That was her life. When they farmed, her job was to provide meals for the hands that came to help. And I never remember going to her house when she did not have a cake displayed on the counter, and cookies in the cookie jar. She could even make homemade corn dogs! Now that was amazing to my little girl mind (and to my big girl mind too).

She made lemonade one day and gave us as glass after Bobby had finished cutting her grass. We asked her how on earth she made her lemonade taste so good, because, frankly, it was the best I had ever had.

She said, "Oh, well, I don't really know. I just add some lemons and sugar til it tastes good."

That set me on a quest to make really good lemonade.

I took a whole bag of lemons and 2 cups of sugar and added it to a gallon pitcher and filled it up with water, and, by George, I had my OWN wonderful lemonade.

Now, I know some people love to just eat lemons. My sister puts a little bit of water with her lemon juice and drinks it (I don't understand how she still has stomach lining left).

Lemons themselves can be so sour we can hardly stand to eat them, but something magical happens when you add some sweetener to the juice, you have one of the best drinks (in my opinion) that you can find anywhere.

I know I have mentioned before, more than once, my love for the writings of Paul. Especially I love the passages in 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 where he talks about a problem in his life.

"And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."

What an attitude to have. Paul realized that the Lord worked through his problems to provide him not only with strength, but with the Lord's strength. And isn't that what we really want?

Lately, life has handed me a bag of lemon's it would seem. Circumstances have been sour to say the least in some areas, and I long to have God remove the problem that is plaguing my family.

But, when I stop focusing on what I see as lemons, and add in the sweetness of His grace, well, my problems taste a whole lot different to me. And I realize if these present situations didn't exist, neither would some other things, like the closeness I have developed with my brother and sister that has allowed miles to become meaningless and these bitter times to become more palatable as we face them together.

I need Your strength, Lord, for I know without a doubt that I cannot make it on my own. Your grace has been sufficient for me, even in these days when I feel so overwhelmed and under prepared for all that I have faced. It is those times when I don't know how to take the next step I feel Your strength, always, surrounding me and giving me what I need to make it through. And I know that problems come, but I also know, that come what may, my life should glorify You. You are the burning in my heart. Every day that I live. All the Glory, All the Praise, is to You!

No comments: